Well, I have good news! It is easy to feed a vegetarian.
First, if you can, ask them these questions:
1. What kind of vegetarian are they?
- Ovo-lacto = eats eggs and dairy products (this is the most common type)
- Ovo = eats eggs, no cheese or dairy (probably due to an allergy or intolerance)
- Vegan = eats no animal products, not eggs, dairy or honey
If you cannot ask them, assume they are vegan, just in case.
2. What is their favorite vegetable? Any vegetables they hate?
For example, I love broccoli, but I hate celery. I will love almost anything starring broccoli, but refuse to eat anything with celery. I think it is inedible.
If you are going to take them to a restaurant, then this is enough information. A vegetarian restaurant with good reviews is probably the best option. If not, or if none is open for the meal you want to eat (most vegetarian restaurants in my city are only open for lunch!), then follow these suggestions:
- Take an ovo-lacto guest to an Italian restaurant or pizza restaurant. Unless they do not eat tomatoes.
- Take an ovo vegetarian or vegan guest to a Chinese or Middle-Eastern restaurant.
- Avoid Brazilian, Korean, French, sea food, fast food and steakhouse restaurants. They may have salads, but your guest will not be happy. Quite the opposite!
It is not difficult to make a vegetarian meal at home.
A healthy meal consists of
- Vegetables and fruits
For the meal you will serve your guest, you can either:
- Serve what you normally eat, but with a different protein dish, or
- Serve an entire meal typical of what a vegetarian would normally eat.
Look for protein dishes on this site for suggestions for the first option, and vegetarian meals for the second option. If they have a favorite vegetable, look for a dish starring that vegetable, and make sure it does not have any vegetable they hate.
One great option for a main dish packed with protein is the recipe for stuffed mini-zucchini. They are vegan and elegant enough for entertaining.
An elegant, quick and easy dessert for entertaining is the fruit-sweetened vegan chocolate mousse.
I hope the recipes and advice on this site make your guest feel at home!