One day an acquaintance told me about a new trend, eating raw food. It makes sense to eat raw food whenever possible, since some vitamins are destroyed by heat. And, of course, most raw food is vegan.
A few years ago, we rented an apartment at the beach during the off season. I had a lot of time to try out new recipes, and a husband to wash the dishes, but the tiny kitchen had few kitchen tools. It took us forever just to figure out how to turn the oven on! (There was some sort of child-proof switch that was also mother- and father-proof too.) However, there was a cheap blender, and I had some ripe fruit to use, so I created this recipe. The mousse is so sweet that you will be surprised that there is no sugar in it. You will love it so much you will never want to buy regular mousse or pudding again, and it is much healthier for your children that something loaded with sugar.
In addition to being amazingly delicious, it has 15 mg of Calcium and 411 mg of Potassium. It even has 1 mg of iron and 1.9 g of protein.
An elegant, healthy dessert with no sugar (or artificial sweetner) added
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 very ripe, large banana (or two small ones)
- 1 very ripe mango, chopped (do not use a fibrous mango)
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until creamy. Blend the fruit first, then add the cacao.
- Eat immediately or store in individual cups in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. I doubt it will last that long!
- Make sure to remove ALL of the mango peel. If a little strip of peel gets blended, the mousse will have a sandy texture. Yuck. Also avoid the fibrous mango pulp near the stone in the middle.
- If you do not have a mango, you can make this with just bananas, or vice-versa — just with mangoes. If you try the recipe with another combination of fruits, add a comment below to tell me how it came out!
- Category: dessert
- Method: raw
- Cuisine: raw, vegan dessert
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 10.6 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Fat: 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: cocoa vegan sugar-free fruit-sweetened